Remove the Navigation Bar from Blogger

I always thought of the "Next Blog" button more like a "Life is a Box of Chocolates" button, because if you click on it, you never know what blog you might get next!

I honestly didn't think anything of it until students started going to my blog, then it glared at me.

Thanks to the help of Linda Yollis, I learned how to exorcise it.

Steps
  1. From the Dashboard, edit the design. 
  2. Click "Edit HTML".
  3. Scroll 4/5 down towards the bottom of the template HTML code. Look for ]]></b:skin>
  4. Add this line of HTML:  
  
#navbar-iframe {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} <== Add this line,
]]></b:skin> <== immediately above
</head> <== these 3 lines,
<body> <== that are already there. 

Tips
  • It's recommended that you backup your template before and after you make changes.
  • Tracy's shortcut is to copy all (CTRL A) the HTML and paste it into a document before making any changes.
  • Another shortcut is to take a screenshot before making changes, that way you know how to fix it.

Before 


After
















Thank you, Mrs. Yollis, for teaching me how to do this!  I also thank my hubby for teaching me how to resize the pictures so it fits the screen.

Comments

  1. Dear Tracy,

    Thanks for a fabulous post about a major Blogger platform problem! Take if from me, I've seen some very inappropriate things when I've click "Next Blog" and I'm glad that I was able to remove the bar from my classroom blog. I thing Blogger should offer a button to remove it, but in the meantime...use the HTML code!

    Great post and thanks for the mention!

    Sincerely,
    Linda Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    Thank you for all your help with this! I am much more comfortable knowing that the students are now safe on my blog. I sure hope other educators consider this.

    Kind regards,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Directions for posting:

1) Choose "Comment As" first. If you don't have a Google/Blogger account, you can choose Name/URL and type in your name, then place the web site that best describes you in the URL (i.e. www.ajusd.org). Or, you can choose "Anonymous".

2) You may need to press "Post Comment" more than one time.

It is always wise to copy your comment before pressing "Post Comment" just in case something happens.

3) Type in the word verification.

4) If you did everything correctly, it will state, "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you do not get that message, please try again.

Click here for a tutorial on how to comment.

Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Striving for Higher-Order Thinking and Depth of Knowledge

Craft and Structure, Deeper Thinking, and Tech Integration

Quality Blogging and Commenting Audit Meme